27 August 2008

1st week in DC and 1st day of preschool!

this week has flown by so fast! I am glad to report I feel more settled, more familiar with my new house and job, but it still doesn't feel like I am living in DC. it still feels like I will be going home from this vacation soon. how about going home in one year?!

today was the first day of school!
here is the traditional "first day of school" picture my Mom requested!

Photobucket

these last four work days I have been getting our preschool classroom ready, getting acquainted with the school's operation and staff. (we played a mean game of softball at a staff retreat Tuesday! it brought back memories of the staff v. campers traditional game at Keola!) today I made five new friends, five cute little Hispanic girls whose mother's are enrolled in Mary's Center's English/computer classes. we had two great sessions together, playing with blocks, coloring different shapes, and taking a walk to the park! I am slowly learning how to communicated with these non-English speaking. I relied most on smiles, bright eyes, and willing hands to try to lessen the language gap. and these girls were so dear to me! at times they thought it funny when I was doing something completely different from their request. I frequently found myself laughing at our miscommunication. I so desperately wanted to be able to help right away. I pray that this situation won't be frustrating over time. overall, I feel that this job will bring so much fun to my life this year. I will definitely have many stories and pictures of all of my new preschool friends!

here are some pictures of my classroom!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

as you can see, the room is overloaded with color and activities! I feel that this year will bring back my preschool days of coloring, make-believe, and silly songs. and what a year that will be! so fun!

I am working my magic as an artful teacher. (which is quite out of my element as I definitely did not have many, if any, art projects as a math major!) I made this game to help the kids recognize shapes and colors.

Photobucket

thanks for taking the tour of my classroom!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Yaya for preschool! I miss working with little kids so much! I'm still hoping to be able to work with younger ones here as well as the work I did with the adolescents...I still think it's quite amusing that we are really working in eachother's fields right now! Anyway God bless I know it can be hard but I know you are doing great!
Andrea

Rachel said...

Yay for your first week of school. I hope things get more fun and that you and your students get to learn loads of fun things. And I do think your 'N' is trying to escape from the alphabet in one of your pictures :) Rachel

the Loo said...

Woot! Woot! Mushball at Keola! Glad to hear you are still alive!

Anonymous said...

Keep on updating! Excited to hear about what is happening at work and at play in your life.

Mr. McIllwain said...

Update your blog!!