05 August 2008

The Start of the DC Chapter of My Life

I made it! after missing my morning flight by 10 minutes, I flew stand-by from LAX to Atlanta to finally land in DC around 10.30pm. a long day!
I am in DC for this week to attend a curriculum conference for my teaching position this next coming year. so this week I will be able to move into my new house and get a feel for the DC life.

here are some pictures of my new life!
I live in the Columbia Heights district of DC. the neighborhood acquired a metro stop in 1999, and as a result the city life has improved greatly in the area. there is a huge building that houses a Target, Best Buy, Marshalls and other big-brand name stores.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

there are many row houses in the neighborhood. everything looks really old, reminding me of my Fresno neighborhood. here is the view from my front porch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

and here is the MVS house!

Photobucket

it is a really nice house, almost exactly like I pictured it! once in the front door, on the left is the living room.

Photobucket

straight ahead entering from the front door is a quaint dining room, with the kitchen attached.

Photobucket

Photobucket

housing three stories, there is a winding staircase and takes one from the bottom of the basement to the top of the third story.

Photobucket

and my room! the VSer before me just painted the room a nice light yellow. I am thinking of how I should decorate given the wall color. the room's windows face the street, Kenyon St. here is a nice closet in the room, begging me to fill it with my many shoes & blouses!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

all in all, I am beginning to feel very much at home. it was very overwhelming at first, my house mates have already lived with each other for a while. it helped me realize that at times I do not include others when I am in a familiar situation. it helped me reflect that I need to be inclusive in all my surroundings, and especially when new people are present. Jodi-beth McCain, the house supervisor, is coming over in a bit to get be more settled in the house and with the neighborhood. I have been learning a lot about this new life and I am continually praying that this is a good fit.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay! I can't wait to be sort of neighbors in DC :)

Christine said...

What a beautiful neighborhood and house. Looks like the kind of place you could love. Will be praying for you as you adjust this fall!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great row house! The neighborhood looks very nice as well.
My only complaint is with the dining room: That computer cord looks like an accident waiting to happen ;)