15 May 2008

Hezekiah's Tunnel

on our OT Jerusalem walk, we took a tour of the South-East part of the Old City. the Kidron Valley lies on this side of the city, outside of the city walls. the valley is much like the Hinnom Valley, rich in step houses.

located in between the Kidron Valley and the Central Valley (yes, they have one too!) , is the City of David.

Photobucket

within the City of David is the elaborate ancient water system of Hezekiah's Tunnel. after walking around some of the excavations around the center, our group walked through the pitch-black, underground tunnel used to bring water into the city in times of siege. this secret system collected water from the Gihom Spring and channeled it through to the Siloam Pool.

Photobucket

the walk was a third of a mile long, and at times the tunnel was not very high. even I had to duck!

Photobucket


also at time water came up to my mid-thigh!

Photobucket

I thought I would put up a picture that would show off my leggies! ha!

Photobucket

I am thankful to Tyler Enns for guiding me, as I did not have much of a flashlight.

Photobucket

he ended up taking pictures every ten feet to track where the tunnel was leading us! the walk was very exhilarating! I was smiling the whole time!

Photobucket

this is a mural of what the Siloam Pool would look like. the water would be collected there at the end of the tunnel.

Photobucket

this is what it looks like today...

Photobucket

our group watering our feet!

Photobucket


2 comments:

Mr. McIllwain said...

Holy crap! That's intense! I'm glad you are OK. :)

Anonymous said...

You're walking in sandals!